Sunday, August 15, 2010

Matter

by Eve Castle

Behold the woman
work of fine art
embraced by canvas.

Loved forevermore
tendered tresses
contemplated mouth


perfectly still.


Why must longing
stir turmoil into my quiet
don’t I believe
that these lips were also pondered?


I have returned to this public world! I've been away from this blog but not from my journey.


I was unable to figure out the HTML to indent the line "perfectly still" - it stands alone here with added spacing, perhaps that is sufficient to make it stand out from the other, it does serve as a separator as well as hits a significant point. I've not shared this poem at live workshops for critique but I have attempted to get feedback on a few online critique sites. I don't mean to have this one a mystery, but I would rather readers come to their own conclusion. I would love to hear feedback. I wrote this in December 2006 and it has had several rewrites over the years. The title seems to be part of the consternation. I am open to other titles. I however can't seem to find one that fits this poem better - at least not yet. Matter in this poem includes both meanings, "having some importance" as well as the meaning of "substance" and for me at least, works with the artist/creator theme. A work in progress.

No comments: